Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Cell Phones and the Pre-kindergarden Set

As I was walking through the Newgate Mall very recently with my 3 year old son who has the habit of walking beside me and stopping suddenly when something catches his attention so as I always have to keep track of him. I never get far from him before I notice his absence at my side. Well we had finished our trip to the kids playground in the mall so he could get his energy out (ha ha ha) and we were walking past a T-Mobile kiosk and he STOPPED while I kept going a few feet. I turn around and mini me has a cell phone in his little hands.
Now this is were it gets fun.
I call his name & tell him to put it back. He looks at me with wide eyes that say "Why Dad?" So I walk back to get him and this nice young man behind the counter asks what kind of phone I have (the standard question when trying to get me to sign up or upgrade) so I pull out my T-Mobile phone. The young man then asks if my son needs a phone. I tell him that my son doesn't need a phone because he's to young. The salesman then says and I quote "Everybody needs a phone." I say not a 3yr old. "Sure he does." comes the reply. (I am thinking Dude are you for real!) Well not today, I reply back as I gather up my son and start  to walk off. And as a parting gift I hear over my shoulder from Mr. Everybody Needs A Phone "Well let us know when he does."
I am thinking "Oh Sure Thing Dude and What Planet did you beam in from and how do I beam you back."
I have surveyed some of my friends and we all agree 3 is to young. Heck most everyone also agrees that Jr. High is a good starting point for getting a cell phone. That is when kids have that thing called maturity and a sense of things having value and understanding the usefulness of items that my son now considers akin to a toy.
So Mr. Mr. Everybody Needs A Phone T-Mobile Man I may call you in like 9 years when my son is in Jr. High but till then his next phone will come without a 2 year contract from Fisher Price.

No comments:

Post a Comment